One of my favorite things to do for the week is meal prep my lunches. There is nothing worse than waking up in the morning late for work knowing you have nothing to take for lunch. I dislike going out to lunch for a few reasons. 1. It’s usually unhealthier than bringing your lunch (larger portions, salty, higher calorie). 2. It’s expensive!! 3. You have to waste gas and time to go get it when you could be on a walk, exercising at your work gym (if you have one) or reading a book etc.
This recipe was a combination of what was sitting on my counter/in my fridge and some creativity. So here it is, the recipe for my Sweet Potato and Ground Beef Hash with Cauliflower Rice!
Sweet Potato and Ground Beef Hash with Cauliflower Rice
Cook Time: Less than 1 hour
- 1 TB olive oil
- 1 LB ground beef
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 chopped orange bell pepper
- 2 ½ cups diced sweet potato (about 1 Lb., about 1 large sweet potato)
- ¼ cups water
- 1 medium zucchini
- 2 t yellow mustard
- 8oz tomato sauce
- 1 t dried oregano
- 1 t dried parsley
- 1/8 t crushed red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper (generous amount)
- 12oz frozen cauliflower rice (I use Trader Joes Organic Cauliflower Rice)
- Heat up a cast iron skillet (make sure the lid is close by) with 1 TB olive oil
- Once skillet is hot, add ground beef and the garlic. Cook the beef all the way through then remove from the skillet into a bowl. 5-6 minutes.
- In the same skillet, add onions and the bell pepper and cook until soft. 3-4 minutes.
- Add in the sweet potato and the water. Cover the skillet and cook for 5-6 minutes.
- Once the potatoes are tender (not mushy remember you are putting them in containers to microwave) add in the zucchini and cook for approximately 3 minutes until the zucchini is soft.
- Mix the ground beef in with the veggie mixture and add in the tomato sauce, mustard, oregano, parsley, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper.
- Separate the sweet potato ground beef hash into 5 meal prep containers. Each one is approximately 380 calories (I use lean very ground beef so it varies with the ingredients you use). Once the mixture is cooled, put the lids on and put the containers into the fridge.
- In 5 smaller containers, separate out the cauliflower rice into the containers and keep them in the freezer until you are ready to heat them up.
- When you are ready to heat up your meal, take off the lid to the container and cover with paper towel and heat for approximately 3 minutes. Heat the cauliflower rice for about three minutes as well or until the water has been evaporated and it is hot. Mix the two together if you would like or keep them separate! Enjoy!!